Through our life-long adoption support, we help you to provide a safe, loving home for your adopted children whatever - and whenever - the challenges
We offer adoption support to our adoptive families throughout childhood and beyond. Our friendly and experienced social workers will work with you to help you get the support you need so your adopted children can thrive.
“Coram helped us become a family and continue to support us to be a happy family. The staff are motivated and caring, and the impact Coram has had on our lives has been amazing”
What sort of support can I get?
Supporting adoptive families is our top priority. We are dedicated to continuing to deliver our services, while operating within the government’s health advice. We have adapted our support to make it as accessible as possible, with a hybrid offer of in-person and online events.
Our dedicated adoption support helpline 0207 520 0383 is operating as per normal Monday to Friday from 9am to 1pm. We encourage all adopters to get in touch with us for support and advice, either by phone or by email: [email protected]
If you are looking for statutory support from your local authority that is part of the Coram Ambitious for Adoption RAA, please go to our adoption support within the RAA page.
Help with parenting
- parenting skills groups for all types of adoptive families including families with adopted teenagers
- virtual coffee mornings
- help accessing education and health services for your children
- a regular newsletter to keep you up to date with developments in the adoption sector.
Our social events, such as our 'Stay and play' drop-ins, are not currently available, but we are looking at ways to safety do these in the future.
Help with your children's education
- factsheets on schools admissions, special education needs (SEN) and exclusions from Coram Group charities the Child Law Advice Service and Coram Children's Legal Centre.
Help accessing additional support
- we are part of the Support Gateway providing adoptive families with fast and easy access to therapeutic support including art and music therapy, mentalisation-based therapy and other child and family psychological help. You can use the Adoption Support Fund to help pay for this service (scroll down to find out more about this fund).
Am I entitled to any other adoption support?
In addition to our support, all adoptive families are entitled to:
- a summary of your child's health from your local authority medical adviser
- a 'life story' book to help your child understand their early life
- a free early education place
- the Early Years Pupil Premium - this is funding to help your child's Early Years setting improve their provision for children who need more support
- priority admission to the school of your choice
- your child's school can also claim the Pupil Premium - this is additional funding to help meet your child's needs.
- the Adoption Support Fund is funding for a range of therapeutic services, which you can access if your family qualifies. You can find out more on the First4Adoption website
Can I get support for my adopted children?
We understand that adopted children may need more support at different times in their lives. That's why we offer them dedicated support whenever they need it.